Believe it or not people in our own neighborhoods go to sleep hungry.
Every day Table to Table picks up fresh, wholesome food that otherwise would have been discarded and delivers it safely to soup kitchens, homeless shelters, and places that serve meals to the hungry.
What Is Typically Donated to Table to Table?
WHY FOOD RESCUE?
Every day almost every other bite of our food is tragically wasted, but by rescuing the excess we can fight the battle of hunger in our local communities. Food Rescue turns tons of food into countless meals for hungry children and families while at the same time helps to preserve our environment.
- Forty percent of the food in the United States goes uneaten (that is more than 20 pounds of food per person in this country each and every month!).
- This uneaten food ends up rotting in landfills where organic waste is created, accounting for 16% of US methane emissions.
- If just 15% of this food is rescued, it would feed 25 million Americans each year.
- Rescuing fresh and nutritious meats, produce, and dairy products that would otherwise be wasted not only feeds, but also improves the health and development of hungry people of all ages.
- For our environment, and for the well-being of our neighbors, food rescue just makes good sense.
Our focus is to provide fresh, healthy food: produce, whole grains and lean protein. We work with a number of local grocery stores (including ShopRite, Whole Foods, Trader Joes and ACME) as well as produce wholesalers and distributors. The food we rescue is delivered to recipient agencies and often served to our hungry neighbors within hours of being rescued!
Delivering Food to Those Who Need It Most
Every day for more than two decades Table to Table, New Jersey’s first and only food rescue program, has picked up fresh, high quality and wholesome food that otherwise would be discarded and delivers it safely to agency partners, including soup kitchens, homeless shelters and senior facilities that serve nutritious meals to the hungry. We focus on efficiency and effectiveness, enabling us to feed the greatest number of people with the freshest, most nutritious food.
Through our powerful collaboration with our agency partners, financial sponsors, food donors and volunteers, Table to Table has significantly moved the needle, rescuing more than 25 million pounds of food to provide nearly 40 million meals to Northern NJ’s hungry.
Join Us in Our Fight Against Hunger
Food Rescue = Win/Win
Forty percent of the United States’ food goes uneaten—that’s more than 20 pounds per person! By rescuing the excess food, we can provide countless meals for hungry children and families while preserving our environment. After all, the uneaten food ends up rotting in landfills, accounting for 16% of U.S. methane emissions.