FOR EASY DULCE DE LECHE FILLING
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1. In a heavy-bottom saucepan, heat sweetened condensed milk and cook for 2 to 3 hours until it becomes caramel color. Remember to stir and not burn the bottom.
2. Remove from heat and allow to cool. (This can be done a day or two ahead and stored in the refrigerator.)
NOTE: Made from scratch dulce de leche takes all day to make. It begins with milk and sugar that is constantly stirred and watched for at least 8 hours. This recipe makes it easy for you and cuts that time dramatically.
2 cups butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar, plus additional for
4 cups flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a standup mixer using the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar together until butter turns pale and sugar is incorporated.
3. Add flour and mix at medium speed until dough starts to form. Do not overmix. Place dough on plastic wrap and bring any remaining ingredients together to form a ball. Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
4. Once dough is chilled, roll out to ¼-inch sheet using a rolling pin and some extra powdered sugar for dusting,. Use your favorite cookie cutter or juice glass and cut out each cookie
5. Place cookies ½-inch apart on sheet trays lined with parchment paper and bake for 15 to 18 minutes just until edges turn golden. Remove from sheet tray and allow to cool on a wire rack.
6. Once the cookies and filling are cool, take one cookie (flat side facing up) and top with dulce de leche. Then place additional cookie on top to make a sandwich. Dust with powdered sugar.
Yields 30 cookies (15 sandwiches)